December 7 – 14, 2021
Experience the deep-rooted holiday traditions of Europe at its most festive time of year. From the iconic canals of Amsterdam to Switzerland’s glittery cities, Lucerne and Zurich, get caught up in the magic of the holidays with visits to some of the world’s most timeless Christmas Markets. Warm up with a mug of steamy glühwein while at the Cologne Christmas Market located in front of its UNESCO-designated Gothic cathedral. Let the “Capital of Noël,” Strasbourg, the oldest and largest Christmas Market in France, captivate you the way it has for so many others for centuries. Meander through Heidelberg’s majestic Christmas Market nestled idyllically amongst the historic squares of the Old Town. And while in Gengenbach, marvel at the world’s largest Advent calendar, where every evening at 6:00 PM, the brightly lit windows of the neo-classical town hall open and behind each one is a picture by a famous artist, such as Andy Warhol. Cherish all the glory of the season in grand European style as you cruise along the Rhine.
7 December 2021: Embark the ship in Basel, Switzerland and meet your fellow passengers onboard.
8 December 2021: Arrive Breisach, Germany at 4:30am.
Visit the enchanting Alsatian town of Riquewihr beautifully dressed in her holiday finery with twinkling decorations and a lively Christmas Market. On your walking tour, admire historical architecture, as well as famous sights, such as the Dolder Gate. Alternatively, you may wish to visit Freiburg, founded in 1120, and home to Freiburg’s Münster, a Gothic cathedral constructed of red sandstone, as well as its enchanting Christmas Market. Those wishing a more active excursion will want to cycle through the scenic countryside; or go on an excursion to the Black Forest, a magical land full of cultural traditions, as well as home to elaborate cuckoo clocks, striking half-timber houses, ruined castles and quaint towns.
9 December 2021: Strasbourg, France – Full Day – Depart at 11pm
Strasbourg is even more alluring during the season of Advent. The Christkindelsmärik dates back to 1570, making it the oldest Christmas Market in France. Enjoy a panoramic bus tour that takes you past the Parc de l’Orangerie, the European Parliament and the Place de la Republique. Afterwards, walk through the historic town center on the Grande Île, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and through the lovely “La Petite France” district, where you will see the Cathédrale de Nôtre Dame with its famous astronomical clock and then visit the town’s famous Christmas Market. You can also choose to explore Strasbourg’s different districts by bicycle. During the afternoon, visit Gengenbach Christmas Market where every year the locals countdown to Christmas with a 24-day, larger-than-life Advent calendar.
10 December 2021: Ludwigshofen, Germany from 8am to 2pm
Rudesheim, Germany – Arrive at 7:30pm (Overnight)
You have the choice to explore two of Germany’s historically rich cities, along with their festive Christmas Markets. Visit Heidelberg, a city that will capture your heart with its mighty castle and historic university. While here, wander along one of Europe’s longest pedestrian shopping streets, the Hauptstrasse, soaking up the Yuletide celebrations at the town’s Christmas Markets. Alternatively, you can explore one of Germany’s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe—a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll also have time to visit its Christmas Market in front of the “Old Mint” (Alten Münze) in the famous Maximilianstrasse, with a view of the romantic imperial cathedral (Kaiserdom). Later in the day, sail to Rüdesheim where you can visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Museum; or taste one of the town’s special delights, Rüdesheimer Coffee, ceremoniously made with brandy.
11 December 2021: Rudesheim, Germany – Morning – Depart at 1pm
Lahnstein, Germany from 4:30pm to 11:59pm
Your exploration of Rüdesheim continues with your choice of three excursions. Take a gondola ride to the Niederwalddenkmal Statue, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the river. Afterwards, indulge your taste buds with a sampling of Riesling wines in the vineyards. Alternatively, you can join a guided bike ride through the town and along the Rhine River to Schloss Johannisberg; or hike through the town’s beautiful vineyards. During the afternoon, set sail along the scenic Rhine River Gorge with its fabled legends and many castles.
12 December 2021: Cologne, Germany from 6am to 6:30pm
Join a guided tour through the enchanting Old Town. Explore the UNESCO-designated cathedral and then visit one of Europe’s largest and most renowned Christmas Markets located in front of the cathedral. Alternatively, ride a bike along the Rhine and through the historic Stadtgarten; or visit a local tavern to taste Cologne’s traditional Kölsch beer and Reibekuchen—potato pancakes served with apple sauce.
13 December 2021: Amsterdam, Netherlands – Arrive at 12:30pm (Overnight)
Cruise the iconic canals of Amsterdam, considered the “Venice of the North” and admire the historic architecture along the way. Then, taste local specialties at one of Amsterdam’s grand cafés. Please note that an alternative tour will depend on docking location.
14 December 2021: Disembark the ship in Amsterdam, Netherlands at 9am
Bid Farewell to Amsterdam and prepare for your homeward flight.
OPTIONAL: Add 2 nights in Zurich and 2 nights in Lucerne before the cruise and/or 2 nights in Amsterdam after the cruise
Featured Guest Educator: Susan Emory
Susan is a licensed fabric designer and Brand Ambassador for Michael Miller Fabrics. She is also a quilt designer for Swirly Girls Design. Susan has taught for Quilting Adventures for several years as a featured educator on our ocean cruises and we can’t wait to see what fun ideas she has for this Christmas Markets River Cruise.
About the Ship: AmaLucia
Sister ship to the award-winning AmaLea and AmaKristina, the elegant 156-passenger AmaLucia will be a warm, inviting ship offering plenty of space for guests to unwind when she debuts in 2021. From comfortable staterooms with twin balconies that keep guests well-connected via Entertainment-On-Demand, free high-speed Internet access and Wi-Fi, to the sunny Main Lounge, where delicious tapas will be served throughout the day, guests will have everything they need to enjoy their time spent on board. If an active mood strikes, the sun-deck walking track, pool with swim-up bar, fitness room and complimentary fleet of bikes will be available. Or you can take an invigorating class led by the professionally trained onboard Wellness Host. And, of course, the exquisite cuisine served in the Main Restaurant and at The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant will satisfy your every craving aboard AmaLucia.
- Will be brand new in 2021
- Length of 443 feet
- Width of 38 feet
- Crew of 51
- Staterooms: 78
- Passengers: 156
- Registry: Switzerland
Experience the Luxury of More:
- More sights – Panoramic views along the river
- More space in staterooms – 155 to 350 square feet
- More public space – maximum of 156 guests onboard
- More included tours – range from gentle, regular and active tours and even Special Interest tours
- More active ways to Discover – complimentary bikes, guided hikes
- More dining – locally inspired cuisine as well as traditional Western options, Chefs Table available for everyone
- More service – 1 staff member for every 3 guests, highest level of service available
- More Relaxation – Massage Room, Fitness Room, Sun Deck Heated Pool, Hair Salon
- More Entertainment – Traditional Bavarian Music, local entertainment and contemporary options
- More Staying in Touch – Free Internet Access and Wi-Fi onboard, in-room computer
- More Innovation – ships designed for low or high water times
AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain’s Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Flights to Basel and from Amsterdam
- Airport/ship transfers (unless air is booked through AmaWaterways)
- Onboard and Tour gratuities
- Beverages other than those listed above
Pricing: Pricing is per person, based on double occupancy and is inclusive of all taxes and fees. Non-participants in our Stitching Gatherings will receive a $100 discount.
Book before September 30, 2020 and receive additional savings with the Holiday Gift promotion offered by AmaWaterways.
Starting at $3695 per person
FRENCH BALCONY STATEROOM:
Starting at $4394 per person
OUTSIDE AND FRENCH BALCONY STATEROOM:
Starting at $5294 per person
Starting at $7294 per person
Promotions: Pricing shown includes the port charges of $196 and the current Holiday Gift of $1,000 off per person for all double balconies valid until September 30, 2020. The Holiday Gift discount is only applicable to categories BB and higher. Categories CA, CB, D, and E will receive a $250 per person discount, already factored into the pricing below.
Once the Holiday Gift promotion expires, the $1000 discount will disappear and AmaWaterways will offer the $250 per person discount for all categories.
Please note, in place of the $250 per person discount or ANY other retail discounts that may be offered on this sailing, you will be able to receive FREE AIR or BUSINESS class as long as you deposit before September 30, 2020. Free air only eligible on the following gateways:
US: ATL, BNA, BOS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, LAX, MCI, MCO, MIA, MSP, OKC, ORD, PDX, PHL, PHX, PIT, SEA, SFO, SLC, STL
CAN: YEG, YHZ, YOW, YUL, YVR, YYC, YYZ
$199 add-on available on additional select gateways
The deposit requirement for this Free Air promotion is $750 per person, $550 of which is non-refundable. Air carrier and flight schedule will be confirmed by AmaWaterways and cannot be substituted.
All staterooms feature:
- In-room temperature control
- Spacious bathrooms with multi-jet showerheads
- Large wardrobe, full-length mirror, hair dryer, safe and direct-dial telephone
- Flat-screen TV that also works as a computer
- Entertainment on Demand system providing complimentary TV, movies and music library
- Complimentary bottled water replenished daily
- Complimentary internet and Wi-Fi
- Desk and chair
PRICING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE UNTIL BOOKED AND DEPOSITED!
Payment Schedule: MONTHLY PAYMENT PLANS ARE AVAILABLE
$500 deposit per person due at time of registration
2nd deposit of $500 per person due by 1 February 2021
Final Payment due by 1 September 2021
**Trip/Travel Insurance through Travel Guard will be quoted by email following the original deposit.
Initial deposit is non-refundable
Additional cancellation fees begin 1 February 2021
Cancellations made within 30 days of departure are 100% non-refundable.